Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Irises and Almost Every Square Filled!

We've been busy! My wonderful husband built me another bed beside the house, so I can grow things that like, or at least tolerate, shade. I transplanted some of the mustard I'd started in pots on the deck and we put our cilantro in there, which will hopefully slow down the bolting process. We also got some herbs which I potted on the deck (dill, fennel, summer savory {which has the pretty tiny purple flowers!}, and tarragon), and I fear that I once again bought more tomatoes than I have space for in the garden, so two of them went into great big pots. We bought four little peanut plants too and put them in big tubs on the deck, and amazingly they're already visibly growing! Sadly I didn't get the pictures on Flickr over the weekend, but I promise to post them soon.

Every spring I find myself smiling at the sighting of daffodils dotted around our little farm and it makes me so happy to see the irises bloom. I went around and took pictures of some of them Sunday, although I didn't get any of the lavender patch that is being overrun by blackberries. I love the deep purple patch at the end of our driveway. We divided them three or four years ago and this is the first year they've really bloomed fully. They were even more dense this morning! Hopefully I'll be able to get a picture of the full blooming patch, but just in case, here are some from Saturday. The last one is my favorite! The sun made the interior of the flower glow, although I'm not sure the picture does it justice.

Iris - Deep Purple Patch
Iris - Deep Purple Closeup
Iris - Sunlit Closeup of Deep Purple
These two are blooming beneath the butterfly bushes so I need to move them. I don't know if you can see the full range of color in the peach bloom... peach, yellow, vibrant orange, lavender... they're gorgeous!

Iris - Peach and Yellow
Iris - Peach
Iris - Yellow
The last one is a Mother's Day present from my husband. We were at the greenhouse buying compost to put in another raised bed Square Foot Garden and this beauty took my breath away.

Iris - Peach and Burgundy
I hope everyone is having a lovely spring!

No comments: