Thursday, February 17, 2011

Winter Savory Sprout!

Last night I looked at my little yogurt cups of soil on my kitchen table, where they capture the morning sun, and I noticed a tiny little sprout! The epazote hasn't sprouted yet, but I saw one little winter savory sprout, and looking closer this morning, there's another one. It filled me will joy. Is that silly? Maybe, but I'm so happy to see those tiny little sprouts. I tried to take a picture but they don't show up at all against the soil. I watered them with diluted tea this morning in the hopes of staving off dampening off.

Yesterday I planted peas, miner's lettuce, mizuna, tatsoi, and ho mi z mustard greens. I planted six different kinds of peas:
  • Golden Sweet are yellow-podded and the pods are edible, with gorgeous pink and purple flowers
  • Mammoth Melting Sugar Snow peas grow extra tall and have edible pods
  • Blauwschokkers are blue-podded shelling peas, although my husband loves the young pods, and I have both regular-sized and dwarf seeds
  • Little Marvel are shelling peas that I've grown before
  • Wando are shelling peas that I've grown before
I'm so excited about the garden this year! I'm going to try to stay focused on the beauty of it instead of the work that it takes, because the work is absolutely worth it. I have far more seeds than I'll be able to plant, but I've been trading some of them and I've gotten so many flower seeds in my trades. My husband and I have an agreement that I won't spend money on flowers, other than an occasional, "They were on sale so cheap!", purchase, so it's wonderful to know that I'll have gorgeous flowers this year thanks to the generous online community at the Square Foot Gardening site.

No comments: