Friday, July 11, 2008

How it all began...

In the spring of this year I was walking through the little nursery in town with my seven-year-old son and he stated that we live on a farm, so we should become gardeners. I smiled and said that was a great idea, since we've lived on our farm for almost 5 years and haven't grown any of our own food to date. I've planted flowers, but hadn't ventured into anything edible. The truth is, I grew up in a subdivision and the thought of gardening intimidates me because my only memories are of a huge tomato patch in the back yard that my Dad made us weed... and the night the June bugs came up at dusk and got in my hair *cringe* It's very much possible that I only had to weed once, but growing up in suburbia, I was totally out of touch with the food chain. Food came from the grocery store, right?

As I grew up and realized the implications of the chemicals we ingested, the artificial flavors and colorings, the impact of factory farming, I not only became a vegetarian but I also started trying to support local, organic farming. I live in a very small rural town so the farmer's market is pretty small, but every year I do what I can to support its growth and I thoroughly enjoy the delicious vegetables and baked goods!

So, I decided to start this blog to track my venture into gardening. Yesterday I took some pictures of my strange little tire plantings (a tire place cuts the sides out of old tires and you can take them for free, so I grabbed a few the year we moved in and only now put them to use). Sadly I don't have the cable that's needed to get the pictures off the camera, but I'll try to do so this weekend and post them.

Anyone who lives nearby or is in the same area, please say hi; I would love to talk to other gardeners!

No comments: