Saturday, July 19, 2008

The Pea Seeds Arrived Today!

At the beginning of the week I placed an order with the Southern Exposure Seed Exchange and it arrived today! When I told my son he got all excited. It's contagious, because when I pulled that package out of the mailbox I was giddy, and I refuse to feel silly about it. I wonder if the deer will allow any of the plants to get to the point of producing, since the little buggers came in and ate the greens off the tops of some of my sweet potatoes, but I've taken evasive action.

Anyway, after reading through the descriptions on the Southern Exposure website I made the following selections:

  • English Peas - Little Marvel and Wando
  • Snow Peas - Mammoth Melting Sugar
  • Southern Peas - Calico Crowder (Pole Cat), Big Red Ripper (Mandy), Pinkeye Purple Hull, and Peking Black

My son is really excited about the Pinkeye Purple Hulls because the picture on the website showed purple seed pods, which he can't want to see! My order was $20.77, so we're going to have to get a lot of peas to make up the cost, but that's not really why I'm doing it so I'm not worried about it. I'm thinking that I might offer a few of each kind to the ladies at the farmer's market, since I love to feed my family the fresh, delicious foods that they grow and over the four years I've been going to that little farmer's market I've gotten to know a couple of the ladies by name.

No comments: