Monday, July 21, 2008

Hummingbird Moth


The day that I took pictures of the butterfly bushes I saw the strangest thing... it was about the size of a hummingbird but it was striped almost like a bee and had antenna. I think it was a Snowberry Clearwing Hummingbird Moth. I could hear it's little wings humming just like a hummingbird! Sadly I didn't get the camera up in time to snap a picture, but it was one of those moments that stopped me in my tracks and I just stood there, staring.

On another note, the deer discovered my sweet potatoes last Friday night and mowed most of the greens off one of the tires and found the other one the following night. I don't think they're dead, just pretty defoliated, and after research online the quickest solution I could come up with was stringing baling twine and hanging pie plates over them. It looks... ummm... well... very rural... but so far it's working. *giggle* Next year my husband says he's going to help me to put in a more formal garden space including some kind of fencing, although I'm not interested in traditional row gardening. I'm sure that'll be a great research project for the cold winter months.

No comments: